The holiday season can be hectic for everyone – read on for some tips on slowing down your holiday & thinking of the environment!
- Avoid single-use items like plastic & paper plates, cups, & utensils. They might make cleanup easier, but generates plenty of waste! Instead, use your finest dinnerware to enjoy a well-cooked meal with those closest to you. Washing dishes, or using a dishwasher, afterwards will offer well-deserved time to decompress.
- Give reusable gifts – Reusable coffee mugs are excellent gifts for the constant coffee drinker in your life. Same for water bottles! Know someone who frequently drinks from plastic water bottles? Give them the gift of reuse & help them save money, & the environment!
- “But I’m out of wrapping paper!” –– fear not! There’s plenty of extra paper to go around – use old newspapers, or other scrap paper to wrap your presents. Avoid buying holiday wrapping paper – it’s cost-effective & puts an authentic spin on the presentation of your gifts!
- Or, give gifts you can’t wrap: experiences go a long way; plan a day trip, purchase an Air BnB gift card, concert tickets, or other memorable experiences for family & friends. Experiential gifts may present new & exciting opportunities for the gift receiver, or allow you to spend more time together with your loved ones. Keep Rockland Beautiful membership makes a great gift, too!
- Recycle your Christmas lights: They don’t belong in the trash! Replace any broken or burnt out bulbs, or dispose of your lights at a local scrap recycler. Home improvement stores may offer programs to ensure they’re recycled, too – check their policies first before bringing your lights to them! The NYS Department of Environmental Conservation offers plenty more sustainable holiday tips like this.
- Compost your Christmas tree & keep it out of a landfill! NYC Mulchfest helps New Yorkers recycle thousands of trees each year. You can also place in your yard or a wooded area on your property, offering shelter for wildlife & natural decomposition over time.
Above all, be sure to relax & enjoy this holiday season. It’s a wonderful time of year to acknowledge your appreciation for the environment, & share your gratitude with family & friends. From everyone at Keep Rockland Beautiful, Happy Holidays!