Don’t Miss Columbia University Lamont-Doherty’s Open House at Home, October 19 – 22, 2020.
Whether you’re an aspiring young scientist or a long-time science enthusiast, you’re sure to enjoy the events and activities. Join in on for virtual lab tours, participate in hands-on earth science activities with Lamont’s scientists from home, and learn from world-renowned researchers about their latest discoveries.
Open House is free and open to the public, with a $5 suggested donation.
What we eat, where it comes from, and how its produced has an enormous impact on the environment and on human health. Our food system is dominated by industrial agriculture comprised of monoculture fields and concentrated animal factories. The industry makes intensive use of pesticides, herbicides and chemical fertilizers that contaminate and pollute our air, soil and water. Read more
Thank you to M&T Charitable Foundation for its $5,000 contribution in support of Keep Rockland Beautiful’s Environmental Education Programs for Youth and the 2020 Fall Waterways Cleanup Campaign! M&T Charitable Foundation has generously supported KRB’s Annual Awards Gala and our Environmental Education Programs for Youth for several years. We are fortunate and thankful to have Jennifer Handelsman, Vice President, Business & Professional Banking at M & T Bank as KRB’s Board VP. She has provided warmth, energy and valuable leadership to the organization.
Climate change is one of the most pressing issues of our time. It is seen in the droughts, fires, floods and spread of dangerous invasives and disease that are impacting us today. These environmental impacts are intimately linked to the health and economic and social well-being of everyone, but they are disproportionately affecting the poor – often people of color – here at home and around world. We have an opportunity and a responsibility to understand the science of climate change and its impacts. We can all act individually and collectively to reduce our carbon footprint and create resilient, sustainable communities for all.
To learn more about the science of climate change and its impacts:
The Rockland County Soil and Water Conservation District has put together a catalog of online environmental-based learning resources which include webinars, lesson plans, and at-home activities.The resources can be accessed through the following link: Read more
Have you seen dandelion leaves in your local produce section? They’re delicious in a salad and incredibly nutritious. But please don’t pick them from the lawn or garden unless you know it has not been treated with pesticides. Unfortunately, our local herbivores and omnivores can’t be so discerning. Pesticides applied to ‘producers’ like dandelions accumulate in species up the food chain – that includes us! Watch this short video on how to manage your garden naturally little to no pesticides.
You may have heard that less than 10% of all plastic produced is actually recycled. Then what happens to the remaining 90% – all of those water bottles, yogurt containers, straws, chip bags and other plastic waste?Read more